|Ethiopian Orphan Relief, Inc. (EOR) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that works to improve the living conditions and lives of orphaned and vulnerable children in Ethiopia. They are a project based organization that grants money to fund carefully chosen projects to meet our partners' needs.
EOR works in partnership with local organizations like Children’s Heaven to support the emotional and physical needs of these children. It is our goal to ensure that every child in our partner programs' have his/her basic needs met. These include food, shelter, clean water, education, and a loving influence. There are an estimated 5 million orphans in Ethiopia and the need for EOR's programs is vast.
GE’s Crotonville Executive Learning Class SHRDC and EOR are partnering to support the Children’s Heaven project. This partnership will dramatically enhance the facilities at Children’s Heaven and also significantly expand the numbers of girls that could be served with their life-saving programming.
There are 4.6 Million orphans in Ethiopia. 44% of the population of Ethiopia is under 15 years old.
The number of children living in difficult circumstances is noted to be significant due to social, economic, political as well as cultural factors. Girls in Ethiopia who suffer from extreme poverty are increased risk. Girls in particular face the perils of sex trafficking, early and arranged marriages, sexual assault, prostitution, limited educational opportunity and attainment, and the myriad of serious health consequences that derive from these risks. Left unaddressed, these risks for girls carry on into adulthood, perpetuating the cycle of vulnerability and violence. For example, a 2005 World Health Organization (WHO) multi-country study on women's health and domestic violence revealed that in a one-year period nearly a third of Ethiopian women were victims of sexual assault.
Since 2004, Children’s Heaven has been working in Kolfe Keranyo (a sub city of Addis) where the number orphan and vulnerable girls is extraordinarily high.
Children’s Heaven is an NGO based in Addis Ababa Ethiopia, whose mission is to “embrace and empower the precious orphaned girls entrusted to our care in an effort to minimize their socioeconomic vulnerability.” Children’s Heaven is dedicated to improv- ing the lives of orphaned and vulnerable girls who are HIV affected which in Ethiopia often means losing one or both parents to HIV. At Children’s Heaven the girls acquire skills and knowledge, while developing the confidence and self-reliance needed to live healthy, safe, productive adult lives. The program currently supports 105 girls ranging in age from 7 to 17 and there are hundreds more awaiting services.
Ethiopian Orphan Relief, Inc. (EOR) has been partnered with Children’s Heaven since December 2008. EOR is a U.S. based 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that works to improve the living conditions and lives of orphaned and vulnerable children in Ethiopia through direct grants that fund carefully vetted and selected projects that meet our partners’ needs. We work in close partnership with local organizations to support the emotional and physical needs of these children. Our primary goal is to ensure that every child in our partner programs’ has his/her basic needs met. These include food, shelter, clean water, education, and a loving influence. We are proud to be a 100% volunteer organization with more than 95% of our donations directly impacting our partners in Ethiopia. EOR representatives from the US travel to our partner sites in Ethiopia regularly, to assess needs and ensure project completion and accountability.
The long term partnership between EOR and Children’s Heaven has enabled a number of highly successful projects impacting a diverse set of critical needs for the girls they serve. Past projects include:
- Education pilot enabling girls served by the program to attend private school with enhanced educational opportunities.
- Feeding program for participating girls, providing 1 nutritious meal a day which dramatically improved health, decreased school absenteeism, and saved money on health care expenditure.
- Cycle bead training and education program empowering girls with critical information and tools to understand fertility and women’s health issues.
- Grants to purchase converted shipping containers to provide shelter and secure space for current program activities.
- Grant to launch chicken farm project to improve nutrition for girls and their families and generate income to help sustain Children’s Heaven programs.
- Donation of Supplies including computers, school supplies, sports equipment and clothing.
- Micro-loan beading project fostering entrepreneurial activities resulting in additional income, self-sufficiency and knowledge.
- Library installation
- Grant to cover rental costs for program space (2008-2011) prior to acquisition of current site.
GE Crotonville Executive Education wants to add to this project list with their support. Our goal is to support Children’s Heaven through 3 identified critical needs projects: building of tutoring rooms, expansion of their existing chicken coop and funding to support a property expansion project.
Tutoring Rooms will create space at Children’s Heaven for tutoring and to quiet study.
A Chicken Coop Expansion will not only nourish participants, but through the sale of surplus eggs and meat, it will subsidize the Children’s Heaven’s programs operational costs and empower girls by educating them about animal husbandry and the power of effective microenterprise.
Funding the Property Expansion Project will allow Children’s Heaven to purchase land for expansion and construct a new, larger facility capable of meeting the needs of the girls. The space will allow for expanded agricultural programs including a large vegetable garden and dairy farm as well as additional physical space to accommodate more girls.
Donation Levels/Impact for EOR & Children’s Heaven:
- $You Decide – Personalize your donation to meet the needs of the village and your own give level!
- $25 Chickens – Buys 4 chickens for sustainable food source for the girls. Eggs will provide important nourishment.
- $100 Supplies – Provides 3 black boards and supplies for three tutoring rooms.
- $300 Land Expansion – Buys 2 square meters of land for Children’s Heaven expansion enabling more girls to join the program.
- $500 Education – Provides one building container to provide learning support and quiet areas to study.
- $1000 Tutoring Program – Provides 42 arm chairs and desks to support new tutoring space.
- $5000 Land – Buys 35 square meters of land for Children’s Heaven expansion enabling more girls to join the program.